Thursday, January 31, 2008

The things we don't understand

I guess you could say that there are things in life that nobody understands. Well, I have officially encountered one of these things in my personal life. Before I get into the details, you need to know a little bit of background information. My boyfriend Jerry and I have been together for a little over 3 years now. We have had our ups and downs, but in the end things have always worked out for us. Jerry works for the county and is stationed at the landfill. He holds the title of transfer station operator....and he HATES it!!! He also lives at home still which he also HATES. He has been very frustrated lately. A few weeks back, there as an article in the paper about the landfill closing. The county doesn't technically have to give Jerry another job, so there is a chance he could get layed off if they closed. Well, Jerry decided to tell me that he was thinking about joining the marines after he read the article in the paper. It really upset me at first, but I figured it was something that would pass by. Just last week, I went to his house and found him on his laptop looking at videos of marines on you tube. He then asked me what I woud do if he went into the marines. Now, as a good girlfriend, what am I supposed to do? I know I should support him no matter what, and I always will, but I don't want him to know that!!! Then he may think I am OK with him going to the marines, which I soooooo am not. I am selfish, I want him here with me. Him being somewhere far away is bad enough because I see him almost everyday, and if I don't see him I at least get to talk to him. Him being sent to war would send me over the edge!! I couldn't handle that. But of course, I told him I would stay with him if he joined. Today he decided he wasn't going in to work. That is so unlike him. He texted me and said he was thinking about the marines more. Some of the things he said really scared me. This is exactly what he wrote..."the thing is, when you join, you have to join knowing that wherever they send you, you might not come home". Now, I didn't start crying...my eyes just started leaking. It's so weird. I am normally a very emotional person and I get very worked up, but whenever he mentions the marines my eyes just start leaking. I don't know how to feel. He isn't sure yet what he wants to do, but I am scared. I don't want him to go. I want us to start planning a life together and go through life together. If he's in the marines we can't really do that. Especially if he gets sent to Iraq. I am mad at myself for being so upset at the idea. It's a very honorable thing. I just don't want him to go!!!!!! I don't know what's going to happen. I do know that the idea of Jerry joining the marines scares the hell out of me!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

hey jilly girl.
how are you doing, well other than dealing with this topic of jerry and the marines?
i have missed you dearly!! :( thanks for leaving a comment on my blog... then i got to find yours. :) i didn't know you had started one. that is good! it helps to get things out like 'this'. and speaking of 'this'... i am shocked. this is heavy news. i'm not sure i even know how to respond. i'm proud of jerry for wanting to do something so great for our country and to support our troops, but it is a very scary thing and like he said, you never know if you are going to be coming home from where you get sent. i love you both and i can only imagine how hard this must be on both of you. :( this is a decission that will utilmately affect both of you. this is something that would change life forever. i personally wouldn't want to see anyone that i know go off to war, but then again, if there is a war, some one has to do it and i would be honored to know and even call them my dear friend. you are being a good girlfriend no matter what you are feeling, just as long as you are honest with him and let him know that you will support him in any way you can, but you may not agree with his choice or like it at all... and you should tell him that you are scared for him to do this and that you would be so upset to see him go. honesty and talking it out are the first things.
jerry is young and smart and has his whole life infront of him, he can get a diff job any where and succeed and do so well with it... the county isn't the only place to work, and although it is going well for him now, he would maybe be happier some where else... and i'm not totally suggesting the marines... just saying a diff job might be a good thing... some times you just need a change... job or living or other.
i'm not sure any of this advice, if you want to call it that, or rambling will help you to feel better, but know that i love you! i love jerry too, and we are always here for you both any time you need to talk or vent or anything... we support both of you in and through anything!!
xoxoxoox love you forever!!
jenn

Jennifer said...

ps when i said sometimes you just need a change.. job or living or other, i didn't mean living or dying, i meant where you are living... duh!! sorry about that. :S